Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Foods That Make My Whole Day Yummier

Last Sunday was a particularly yummy day because, not only did I get my regular giant pancake for brunch (and for the first time they weren't out of bananas to put in it!), but I got to make and eat crêpes AND I got free latkes and doughnuts (which, unfortunately, weren't very good...they were a bit hard. But it's the idea that counts). So in honor of that yumminess, here is a list of...

Foods That Make My Whole Day Yummier
  1. Pancakes: The giant pancakes in the dining hall are pretty good and definitely get props for being giant (and being on plates intended for Mongolian stir fry), but the hands-down best pancakes ever are my dad's. And to think, I used to not like pancakes! I don't really like syrup, so I tend to eat either chocolate chip pancakes, or pancakes with jam on them.
  2. Challah french toast: As you can see, I love breakfast foods. I eat breakfast at all times of the day. In fact, I have frequently eaten french toast for dinner. Challah french toast is the best of all french toasts; to me, there really is nothing else. When I was younger, I didn't even know there was such thing as non-Challah french toast. Made with regular sliced bread, it's flat and boring. Challah is fluffy and delicious. (Challah by itself is also quite superior to regular bread. I like Challah with melted cheese, cream cheese, honey...)
  3. Crêpes: Obviously I cannot leave out the crêpes (and yes, the circumflex on the e is a pain in the butt, but I speak French...). Crêpes are as yummy, if not sometimes yummier, than regular pancakes. I tend to put nutella and bananas in them, but they're also delicious with lemon and sugar. Making them thin enough is tricky; it took a couple years of French projects for my friend and I to be successful. (Oh, and if a certain guy who lives across the hall from me ever reads this, remember: crêpes are indeed French, not Greek.)
  4. Gummies and Starbursts: All right, done with the breakfast foods. Gummies are a staple in my diet. Gummy bears, gummy worms, gummy fruits...you name it, I love it. Right now I have gummy Scooby Doos and Looney Tunes. Starbursts are also yummy. But I just finished my bag of them and will have to remember to buy another one at the beginning of next semester!
  5. Anything from Moosewood: Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, NY is the best best best restaurant. Every dish is delicious and vegetarian. I'm not too crazy about vegetables, but last time I was there I had a stew that had 3 different kinds of squash in it, and I still thought it was delicious. If you're ever in Ithaca, go. (That's an imperative.) If not, buy one of their cookbooks online. My family owns 3 of them.
  6. Hot chocolate with marshmallows and/or Fat Free Reddi-Whip: Hot chocolate makes every day warm and cozy. I go through tons of it when it's cold out. My hot chocolate is really not particularly flavorful because I normally make it with water, but then I pile on the marshmallows and whipped cream (5 calories/tablespoon...I don't care that it's completely fake; I inhale the stuff) and it's deeeelicious (hmm...need to find a new word).
  7. My dad's chocolate chip mini muffins: He sent me 2 bags of them for my birthday and my friend and I finished one of them in a week (we each had one a day...we didn't pig out on them). So yummy and well-proportioned.
  8. Thanksgiving sweet potatoes or candied yams: By "Thanksgiving sweet potatoes," I mean the kind with the marshmallows on top. As you can tell, I have quite the sweet tooth. It's unfortunate, but yummy (okay, I looked up synonyms for yummy/delicious and got: tasty, mouthwatering, scrumptious, delectable, luscious, and scrummy. So sugar is scrummy.) Pretty much the only thing I really love in our dining hall is their candied yams. They're sweet (of course), starchy (I'm a potato person in general), and pretty nutritious: yams are a good source of potassium, fiber, and various vitamins. And according to a website I found, they "contain folic acid and other B vitamins which help to detoxify estrogen," which is "especially beneficial in helping women improve symptoms of premenstrual syndrome." Good to know.
  9. Julie: Because she's starchy and scrummy as well, and filled with wise knowledge of the world.
I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of right now. Had I written this post a few months ago, it would have included such foods as my dad's flank steak, filet mingon, and pulled bbq chicken. However, as of a little over a month ago, I am a vegetarian. I'll have to see how that goes over at home, where food is much tastier. In dining halls, it's all kind of gross, so it's more or less insignificant whether or not I'm eating meat. I did realize the other day, though, that Passover will be difficult, since I normally eat tons of meat at that time.

So, Bottom Line: Natanya is addicted to sugar. =/

0 comments:

Post a Comment